Tuesday, January 26, 2010

tour + friends + beautiful downtown sevilla = awesome

Downtown Sevilla is the most beautiful place in the whole entire world. Hands down. At least, it is the most beautiful place that I have ever been or seen. Some of the exchange students went out on a free walking tour of the city last evening around 7 pm. It was so incredible. Before that, me, Arianna, Mary (the girls I traveled with), Lisa, Lauren, and Jenn (my roommate and her friends) went out shopping for a little bit. We had so much fun! The tour was amazing! The architecture and history of the city is breathtaking. We learned some fun facts (example: any soccer - futbol - team that has "real" in front of their name - Real Madrid - is only called that because a member of the royal family was a big fan and attending lots of games), and some incredible history (the Moors from Africa reigned over most of Spain for 800 years, and heavily influenced the language, the art, and the architecture), and saw amazing sites of historical and current significance (El Mercado de Triana - the market of Triana - is on the site of the original Spanish Inquisition / we saw the home of La Esperanza de Triana a rival statue of the Virgin Mary that is seen during the parades during Semana Santa, prior to Easter...her rival in fame and beauty is La Esperanza de la Macarena). We concluded the tour with a cup of free arabic tea (yummm) and great visiting. After that new friends went out with old friends to get to know each other and to explore the city and have some fun!
What a great day!

Today, I had a super long (but helpful) orientation session, and got my class schedule. I got all the classes that I requested and I have an amazingly awesome schedule. All of my classes are in Spanish, so it will be quite an adventure. Any and all prayers are appreciated.

xoxo
ks

pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment