Friday, January 22, 2010

AQUI!

I have finally at long last arrived in Spain. Of course it is beautiful, but I am almost too tired to notice. It was a very long trip. Almost as soon as I was ready for the trip to get underway, I was ready for it to be over. The flight from Charlotte to Chicago was pretty painless and was passed in crosswords. The layover in Chicago was bizarre and longer than expected. Our flight ended up leaving over an hour late and we sat on the runway for what seemed like hours waiting to take off. I ended up having a section of two seats to myself for the nine hour flight which was really great.

But I officially have my first multicultural horrifyingly embarrassing moment: I packed a pretty hefty backpack (courtesy of Brian Lakin) and for comfort I had it strapped to a set of attachable wheels. "It will definitely fit in the overhead bins!" (-Mom). right? WRONG! Although I definitely should receive an A++ for my effort. First of all I had to stand on my tippy toes with my 22 lb bad over my head to even reach the bin. great fun. I begin the cramming process but nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I, of course, PERSEVERE! again and again I attempt this impossible feat and finally a very short, very middle aged, very balding man offers to assist me. Does his sudden outburst of sweaty yet valiant efforts yield positive results? Well, seeing our obvious failure, the flight atttendant comes over to offer his services. Hoping to be of some assistance, he begins rapidfire instructions in Spanish. I am fulstered and cannot figure ot what he is saying, that poor man is sweating and still cramming and Fernandes our flight attendant is gesticulating and jumping and shouting. Finally I catch the word "ruedas" which I think maybe means wheels. And suddenly i understand. I must (of course) remove the oh so easily removable wheels to fit my backpack in the overhead compartment. yay.

anyway, I got to enjoy my first in flight meal on a plane. Not too bad, all things considered.

I also was annoyed by some chatty Italians (or maybe Portuguese?) gentlemen sitting behind me. They somehow managed to talk above the volume of my iPod for the entire nine hour flight. the ENTIRE nine hour flight. It was great. However, it was a cultural experience.

I conked out on the one hour flight from Madrid to Sevilla. It is so beautiful here; and aside from the fact that the ATMs in the airport dont take my debit card, it was a painless taxi ride to Lola's house. It is perfect. This neighborhood is absolutely amazing. So many colors! The house is delightful and I have my own little room. Lola is the sweetest woman ever, and makes me feel very at ease even though she speaks zero English. Zero.

She made me a delicious tortilla espanola for dinner, and I might have a new favorite food. I am very happy so far, but I definitely miss home a bit. I think for now though I am going to hit the hay. I am very very tired.

Love and (as Lola says) Un Beso!

No comments:

Post a Comment